Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Testing Positive HEPATITIS C

simerjots - Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:32 am

Good Morning,
I got my blood test report yesterday. It show that my HCV Ratio is 25.0 H high s/co ratio have been shown. HCV AB is Reactive. I am trying to get pregnent. The doctor told me that I must get treament for HEPATITIS C first before she starts my treatment from pregency. My question is hoe long does the treament for HEPATITIS C will take me? and what stage or level I am at? Is this the worst or in between level? What are the chances of me getting rid of HEPATITIS C ? I am 34 years of age now. Please responde promtly.
Thanks[/b]
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:38 pm

Dear simerjots,

I am sorry to hear you encountered Hepatitis C virus. Do you know how you got it? Anyway, your prognosis depends on your age, viral load,and mostly the genotype of your virus.. You are still young and can tolerate treatment better.As for the genotype...there are 4 major ones 1,2,3, and 4...1 and 4 are the most resistant to treatment with 50% cure rate...while 2 and 3 with their subtypes have a cure rate of more than 80% nowadays..

The duration of treatment varies from 24-48 weeks...preferrably if you are a good responder to Interferon and you became PCR -ve early in treatment, you should continue to 48 weeks.
you can check on HCV on our site here under gastroenterology/diseases and if you need more info ... you can check this easy to use website http://www.hepatitis-central.com

Please feel free to ask any other questions .

|