News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Blood and mucus (semen?) in bowel movements

ape01 - Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:49 pm

I'm 23 years old, male. I am generally in very good health, and have only been on antibiotics once in the last four years or so.
For a while now I've had periods of time when I've regularly found blood in my bowel movements, from slight traces to fairly considerable amounts. More rarely but usually around the same time I have also noticed a mucus that has a slippery texture and a strange smell similar to semen, that seems to bubble out a bit. When this happens my bowel movements are often in smaller more frequent amounts. Sometimes I also experience a low level of rectal discomfort during the days, that feels low in my body, and sometimes a bit in my intenstinal area.
I am a concerned about this, and I want to know if it's something that might be easily treatable, or if it is something I should have examined immediately...? What could be causing it? What is my best course of action?
Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:51 pm

User avatar There are many causes of blood in the stool, as well as mucous. In particular, the inflammatory bowel diseases can present around your age. Other possible causes include food allergies, viral or bacterial infection, polyps, and rectal fissures.

I would recommend that you be evaluated by your doctor. You may need an endoscopy to look at the bowel mucosa and do some biopsies. Also, they can test for infections, etc.

Hope this helps.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here