News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: pain in the upper abdomin...alcohol-induced GERD?

luvin2hertz - Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:01 am

I am 17 years old, an athlete all my life, in pretty good shape, 135lbs, stable, healthy diet with variety.
I started smoking and drinking just for social occasions around 14, and over the past year, I've been on and off.
Since about half a year ago, I've fallen into having a pack per week, and consistantly drinking about every other day that I've developed such a high tolerance, despite my age, low body mass, and the fact that I'm Asian. I'd chug a couple pints of straight, hard liquor and get wasted at least once a week.
I've always had a mild chronic cough,
but lately, since about a month ago, I've been experiencing awkward stomach pain.
I play soccer everyday, and I get this dull feeling in my upper abdomin all the time. On game days, about two days a week, however, after intense running for couple hours, I develop severe pain that seems to be originating from the same area but spreads thoroughly over my stomach that I virtually become numb for the whole night.
Along with the pain, I find myself going to the bathroom about 3 times in the following 6 hours, usually with mild diarrhea. I've also found that the pain becomes magically subdued when I lie on my side. For some reason, eating ameliorates the feeling about 50%, but, without completely healing it, still lasts throughout the night.

Although I am aware that quitting is the best medicine out there,
I'm worried if I am suffering from either bronchitis or even gastroesophogeal reflux disorder, of which I've become suspicious after researching a couple sites.
If so, would fasting for 3 days on a apple juice-based diet have any healing effect?

Thank you very much.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:45 am

User avatar Hi luvin2hertz,
Since you are already aware that "quitting is the best medicine" I urge you to do so. Treatment for GERD is certainly available but if the irritant persists even though symptoms may improve it doesn't really solve the original problem. Taking into consideration your age, and the fact that you are already experiencing symptoms is quite concerning indeed. Smoking and chronic alcohol use eventually as time goes on triggers systemic problems, ie., lung disease, gastric disturbances/disease, liver failure, etc. My question for you.....is consumption/use of such substances worth the risk? Please think long and hard about what you do before you do it.....
Best wishes!
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 luvin2hertz - Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:41 am

Theresa Jones, RN wrote:Hi luvin2hertz,
My question for you.....is consumption/use of such substances worth the risk? Please think long and hard about what you do before you do it.....

Of course I've thought deeply about everything. I don't think alcoholics become who they are because they want to.
Honestly, I feel that I need counseling unless I'm able to not suppress my emotions.
I can actually quit smoking for a week every month and not drink up to two weeks, but on the downside, I end up cutting myself.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:44 am

User avatar Hi luvin2hertz,
I would strongly suggest that you seek professional counseling. Best wishes.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here