Question: 4yr old with fever, stomach pain, diarhea, vomiting, etc..

clm21 - Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:05 am

I have a sweet 4 yr old who was nursed till she was 21 months, she had colic pretty bad as a baby (at 13 months she was considered high needs today she is still a drama queen) and then was allergic to dairy then was able to eat all dairy when she was 3, She has been hospitalized for a week for the "Norwalk/Noro Virus". Since then anywhere from 3-10 days a month (6 months ago) and now 5-25 days a month my daughter will spike a fever above 101 get sharp pains in her tummy (bottom right or above belly button), may also vomit, sometimes has diarhea, cry/scream from the pain and be very sleepy for a few days. She has had several trips to the doctors and ER she was put on amitriptilyne and zantac (6 months ago) amitriptilyne was used to "control her stomach spasms" and zantac "just in case she gets like heartburn or "reflux" well neither of them work. So the last dr visit we were set up with a peds gi dr for 1/16 (set 2 weeks ago) since then we have been to a new ER and my daughter was examined by 2 different doctors who came to the conclusion after blood/urine work (the the 10th time) they said they think she has a "hole or tear" in her intestines or "weak immune system". Im curious as to what you think is going on. Im clueless no one else has digestive problems in my family and I feel so bad for her when she has these moments. She has also lost weight and bruises easily. She has also tested negative to Celiac disease. She handles dairy very well. Sometimes constipated sometimes diarhea, green or normal. Please email with any questions or post here. Thanks!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:21 pm

User avatar I'd like to get a better sense of her fevers. What is the longest period of time that she goes without a fever? What is the longest stretch of consecutive days she has with fevers? In between fevers is she totally well?

How much weight has she lost? How long do the pain episodes last?

A "hole" in the intestines is very unlikely. When the intestines perforate they allow intestinal bacteria into the abdomen and can cause very severe, sometimes life-threatening, infections.

A "weak" immune system is possible, but it is also possible that she is simply having normal viral infections. Children her age will often have anywhere from 10-15 infections in a year, often clustered in the winter. So, it is essentially that as soon as they are better from one illness they catch another.

If she is getting viruses the lymph nodes in the abdomen may become inflamed causing the abdominal pain.

Seeing the GI specialist is an excellent idea. They can help with the work up for possible causes.

Let us know how the appointment goes and how her progress is.

Hope this helps.

|