Question: Please Help... Going insane over this

MaggieM - Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:34 pm

I've looked everywhere but I cant seem to find anything: 23 y/o female, it seems ever since I was little I've always been constipated. It is SO frustrating and debilitating. For years doctors have told me to eat fruits and vegetables, keep active, drink lots of water, blah blah. I've tried all that. Everything. Last year or so I went to a doctor concerned with severe stomach pain, and he suggested I had IBS. He prescribed Zelnorm but I found that it only made things worse. Perhaps I still wasnt going when I had to. That is another thing is not going when I have to. Anyways to get more to the point I want to know the best form fo laxative to get. My stools are always so hard and difficult to pass. Quite often they are really big. Do you reccommed suppositories or something else? I've heard suppositories are supposed to help work quicker. I've heard and read about other remedies but I don't know where to begin. I really just want to know the best type of laxative to get. Please help I am at my wits end. Thank you for your replies. I am not currently taking anything for it.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:05 am

User avatar Hi MaggieM,
The problem associated with laxatives, even though they usually work, you would not want to have to use a medication of this nature on a daily basis. The problem is then compounded due to the fact when use stops you are back to square one so to speak with the original problem. One of the causes of constipation is lack of fiber. Have you tried fiber supplements? Fiber in combination with appropriate intake of water typically alleviates the problem. Best wishes.
 anprdp - Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:41 am

Maggie,

Like you I also have IBS and have had it since a little girl. I can remember crying while my father watched while using the rest room for bowel movements so I do feel your pain. I just always assumed even into my adulthood painful bowel movements were the normal thing until I married and found out they were not. I believe the lovely nurse to be correct on all instances. For one, do not take stool softners everday. And for two, try to eat fiber or try fiber supplements. My doctor also told me to stay away from several foods, although with my diabetes it is hard. Try not to eat uncooked vegetables (that is the tough one for me), avoid caffieine, tomato products, and citrus products. I also tried Zelnorm which made my cramping worse so I discontinued use. I use Pamine Forte now which I do not know if that is a common treatment, but it did help with the spasms I experienced. The biggest change has been my diet (due to the diabetes) and I cannot tell you how much this has helped me. It still happens of course, but no where near as much as it did. Plus, I have other underlying problems such as only 2/3 of a colon now that cause my symptoms to change. And, I also suggest you get with your doctor about a colonoscopy. The reason is from all this constipation I learned the hard way that it increased my chances for colon cancer/polyps as well as my genetics played a role. I urge all suffers of IBS to seek one of these out. Good luck and I hope you find some relief at some point.

|