News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: drowsiness and nausea

canored - Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:52 pm

Hi,
I'm 26 yrs old and i started getting this trouble recently.
It's starts all of sudden, as if i have lost all energy in my body, i feel like going to sleep right away and i yawn a lot at those times.
I also feel drowsy if i lay down and i gasp for more air by opening my mouth. when i about to sleep i well get up with a jerk gasping for more breath as if i have not breathed for some time. I get silly thoughts now as if i will stop(forget) breathing when i sleep. i know its weird but , this trouble is driving me crazy.
When i get this feeling i also get a weird feeling on my stomach some times as if it is full and i can't take any more food even if i was hungry a minute ago.
i was told this could b due to some trouble in stomach as i eat outside food always and i work odd hours( night shift)

Someone please help me out of this.

1.Age : 26
2. Sex : Male
3. Past diagnoses: None
4. Past surgeries : None
5. Family history : Diabetic (grand ma)
6. Current Medications : Omez - D omepresol tablets - one/day
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:29 am

User avatar Your symptoms sound a little like you may have a condition known as obstructive sleep apnea. This is when you essentially have obstruction of your airway at night causing pauses in your breathing (mini choking episodes). Then, your body recognizes the need for oxygen and gasps relieving the obstruction.

Symptoms of this are generally manifested during the day. These episodes lead to poor quality sleep and subsequently feeling tired during the day, difficulty concentrating, etc.

Having odd work hours can also cause some of these symptoms because the "biological clock" is never on track.

Eating healthy and exercising can help with the clock issue. To formally diagnosis obstructive sleep apnea one needs to have a sleep study done.

I would recommend that you discuss your symptoms with your doctor. You may also need some screening labs, such as an electrolyte panel, CBC, thyroid studies and an EKG just to check for some less common causes of your symptoms.

Best wishes. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here