News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Pelvic/Rectum Cramps and Spasms

RivkaRain - Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:20 pm

I've been having pelvic/rectal spasms and cramping for 2 years now. I usually have pain when it's time for a bowel movement. I never have the urge to push, just cramping and spasmic pain tells me when it's time to go. My doctor ran several test such as an colonoscopy, upper and lower GI ( since I have stomach pains occasionally) all test came back negative. I had a cat scan that reveal inflammation in my illium, an antibiotics was prescribed; fortunately that solved the inflammation problem. However my cramps and sharp pain still occur. My doctor says there is nothing else he can suggest and that it is probably all in my head. I told him how can pain this intense be all in my head?

Is there anything else I can do. Is there a home remedy something to ease and eliminate the pain. Please help!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:39 am

User avatar There are a few possible causes I can think of. One would be inflammatory bowel disease. Generally this would be picked up on a colonoscopy; however, Crohn's disease (one of the IBD's) can be ellusive as it can have many areas of normal mucosa with intermixed areas of inflammation.

Another possibility is irritable bowel syndrome. This often will be accompanied by periods of diarrhea or constipation.

Parasites can cause similar symptoms as well. If you have not been screened for them, it may be a good idea.

There are some non-GI illnesses that can cause severe abdominal pain as well, including acute intermittent porphyria (rare) and lead/heavy metal poisoning.

I recommend that you continue to follow up with your doctor.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here