Question: Appendicitis?

i3rltt4nyy - Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:20 pm

I'm a 19 year old female, in good health overall, but I've had this horrible pain in my right side, it has been there since last monday, and has only gotten worse. It started my lower right abdomen, but now my whole right side hurts. I've been to many doctors, and had a CT scan and a ultrasound, but my appendix, did not show up on it. They also did a ultrasound to see if I had an ovarian cyst but couldn't find anything. The doctors won't remove it because my white blood cell count seems fine, and it is not showing up on any diagnostic tests, but the pain is constant and has not gone away. They said it could 50% my appendix and put me on a few different antibiotics and gave me pain medicine... I had a fever a few days ago and was vomiting. That has gone away but the pain has not. It hurts really bad to walk up stairs and to laugh, and do many other things. They will prob. do laproscopic surgery on monday, but shouldn't they be worried it could burst before then?!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:03 pm

User avatar Believe it or not, appendicitis is rarely a surgical emergency. The symptoms you describe could very well be due to appendicitis but may also be due to several other causes, including a GI virus, gynecological pain, and inflammation of the abdominal lymph nodes (mesenteric adentitis).

If your pain gets acutely worse you should be evaluated in the emergency room. Otherwise I recommend you follow up with your doctors as scheduled in the next 1-2 days.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:06 pm

User avatar Sorry, I hit the post button on accident. Anyway...

Regarding burst appendix, this can be quite severe, but often is not a serious issue. It does mean that the person will need some antibiotics to help clear up any infection. Also, the surgeons will wash out the abdomen well before closing everything up to help remove any infected fluid.

While it is better to remove the appendix before it ruptures, in children and young adults a significant number of times the appendix has already ruptured when the person presents for evaluation.

Hope this helps.

|