News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: PAIN IN LOWER ABDOMEN, RIGHT SIDE

janeireton - Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:57 pm

HI, I AM HOPING YOU CAN OFFER SOME ADVICE. I AM A 41 YEAR OLD WOMAN. FOR SOME MONTHS NOW I HAVE HAD PAIN ON AND OFF IN MY ABDOMEN MAINLY ON THE RIGHT HAND LOWER SIDE, TOGETHER WITH LOWER BACK PAIN.

AFTER 6 MONTHS OR SO I WENT TO THE DOCS WHO REFERRED ME FOR AN ULTRASOUND AND A CAMERA INVESTIGATION AND IT SHOWED NO PROBLEMS WITH MY WOMB.

PAIN HAS CONTINUED AND HAS BECOME VIRTUALLY EVERY DAY, SOMETIMES MILD BUT OFTEN QUITE INTENSE. I HAVE RECENTLY BEEN AGAIN TO MY DOCTOR WHO THINKS IT MAY BE IBS. I WAS GIVEN MABEVERINE BUT THEY don't SEEM TO LESSEN THE PAIN.

SINCE THINKING I MAY HAVE THIS HORRIBLE SYNDROME I HAVE DONE SOME RESEARCH MYSELF AND don't THINK IT CAN BE IBS AS MOST CASES HAVE PAIN IN THE LEFT SIDE AND ALSO ASSOCIATED CONSTIPATION OR THE RUNS (I don't HAVE EITHER , ALTHOUGH MY BOWL MOVEMENTS HAVE NEVER BEEN EVERY DAY) iTS WORTH ALSO MENTIONING THAT I RECENTLY CAME OFF SSRI ANTIDEPRESSANT AFTER MANY YEARS OF TAKING THEM.
 Dr. Leigh Anderson - Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:21 pm

User avatar From what you are describing I beleive that you are having Bowel problems

1) An endoscopy should be considered first - specifically a colonoscopy. I would also consider an upper GI series with small bowel follow-through which can evaluate Crohn's disease. An MRI will give further details for masses, which are less likely to be causing your symptoms. A CT scan would be a more reasonable first imaging test.

2) Colitis can certainly cause these symptoms. You may want to consider if steroids or immunomodulating therapy (i.e. Azathioprine) can be considered.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

Keep in Touch

Dr. Anderson

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here