Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Abnormal Test Results

Poda - Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:22 pm

I have some abnormal blood work, and a few seem to have some relation to the liver when I research online. Do you think these indicate a problem? Here are the abnormal ones:

MCV 94.3 H
SGOT 11 L
BUN/Crea 9 L
Iron % Satura 58 H

The L means low and the H means high. Do these add up to anything to look in to?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:38 pm

The normal MCV is in the range of (82-98) fl.
Iron saturation of more than 70% in females, and 80% in males is considerable.

So, I think your levels are not significantly high. Of importance the results of other blood indices in addition to the clinical picture as well as your complaints to give a clearer picture.

Normal BUN/creatinine varies from lab to another but within a range of 10:1–20:1. I can also tell that your level is not so far from normal, keeping in mind that the ratio get lower in people who do not eat enough proteins and those who drink alot especially the day before doing the test (hydrated). Some drugs also do this effect.

The normal range of values for AST (SGOT) is from 5 to 40 units/L. This means your enzyme level is within the normal range.

Follow up with your doctor is essential.

|