News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Abnormal Test Results

Poda - Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:22 pm

I have some abnormal blood work, and a few seem to have some relation to the liver when I research online. Do you think these indicate a problem? Here are the abnormal ones:

MCV 94.3 H
SGOT 11 L
BUN/Crea 9 L
Iron % Satura 58 H

The L means low and the H means high. Do these add up to anything to look in to?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:38 pm

User avatar Hello,

The normal MCV is in the range of (82-98) fl.
Iron saturation of more than 70% in females, and 80% in males is considerable.

So, I think your levels are not significantly high. Of importance the results of other blood indices in addition to the clinical picture as well as your complaints to give a clearer picture.

Normal BUN/creatinine varies from lab to another but within a range of 10:1–20:1. I can also tell that your level is not so far from normal, keeping in mind that the ratio get lower in people who do not eat enough proteins and those who drink alot especially the day before doing the test (hydrated). Some drugs also do this effect.

The normal range of values for AST (SGOT) is from 5 to 40 units/L. This means your enzyme level is within the normal range.

Follow up with your doctor is essential.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here