News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Hard Stool, Back Pain, Related? Please Help.

Ashleyisworried - Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:58 pm

I hurt my back recently, tore or pulled, I'm not sure what the doctor said, but he gave me two pain killers and a muscle relaxer, I'm not sure how I hurt my back, I just woke up with pain. Anyway, around the time my back started hurting my stool became hard and difficult to pass. I'm not sure if this is normal, and it's sortof embarrasing, so I am asking you. About half an hour ago I used the bathroom and my stool was so large and hard that it actually abrased my skin. Suprisingly, my back felt a bit better after it had passed... do you think that these two things are related? May my back pain have been misdiagnosed? Or is this something completley different? Should I go back to the doctor? -Ashley
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:24 pm

User avatar Hello,

It is less likely to consider a direct relation between the trauma you had and your GI symptoms.
Spinal cord injuries that results in GI and or bladder problems show different presentation.

Following trauma I assume that you have reduced your physical activity. This subsequently will lead to a more hard stool and reduced bowel movements (a form of constipation). This in turn results in pelvic congestion and pelvic pain, what explain why you feel more relived after defecation, as the congestion declines.

Follow up with your doctor is essential.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here