News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Something serious? Please help!!!.....

AZNkou - Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:32 pm

HI. I'm a 26 years old male and I've been having this very awkard feeling for a few years now. I've seen a doctor about it, but he said it was nothing to worry about, but just yesterday it did something to my body which made me think there's more to it. Please listen and help me....

It feels like there's this bubble (gas bubble) on the side of my left side stomach. It comes and goes every other week or so, and usually it causes a sharp pain. Sometimes, I can't bare the pain because it feels like it's cutting through my organs. Just yesterday, I felt like it had bursted. It started as if the gas bubble was moving from my left side stomach into my chest, then it bursted and I felt this cool flow of liquid in my body. Could it be blood, some kind of body fluid or etc...???? I think there's more to this but I really don't know what it could be. Some other symptons: I don't sleep regularly, my breathe's gotten worst, I've lost weight easily over the few years, and I can't drink more than 3 bottles of beer (although I've never been an alcoholic or drink often). ** A few months ago, I decided to hang out with my buddies and only had 3 bottles of beer when I started to feel uneasy. When I went to bed, my heart was pounding so fast I could rest. I decided to stay up later because it might just be the alcohol, but still it didn't stop. My girlfriend could hear my heartbeat and had stay up with me. What kinds of sign could this be?

I've never been diagnose or had surgery, and I don't believe any of my family members has had anything like this before. Currently not taking any medication.

Reply asap. I need some advise to get some help for my health. I'm worried!!!!!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:30 pm

User avatar Hello,

It will more helpful if you can provide us information about the investigations done and their results.

Gas in the intestine is produced by the act of bacteria on the food while being digested. Excess gas can cause severe abdominal pain.

The common causes of excess gas are
-Irritable bowel syndrome
-Eating certain types of food that are not easily digested.
-Eating certain types of food that are not tolerated by the GI (due to lack of certain digestive enzymes as in the case of lactose intolerance).

You may have a form of IBS.
IBS is one of the most common disorders that is seen in the clinic.

The disease is not due to inflammation in the wall of the GI and is believed to be due to autonomic dysfunction or hormonal imbalance, that can be easily controlled by simple changes in the lifestyle, diet.

Commonly people who have IBS complaint off one of the following symptoms:
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension
Abdominal pain or colic
Either Diarrhea or Constipation or an alternating between both of them

Certain types of foods contain, chocolate, milk and alcohol might worsen symptoms.

Stress and anxiety alone can cause similar symptoms as well as increases the frequency and the severity of IBS symptoms in almost all cases.

Exclusion of other causes that give similar clinical picture is mandatory. These diseases include:
GERD, gastritis,
indigestion, and
gall bladder disease.

Abdominal US , and upper GI endoscopy may be recommended by the physician according to the results of clinical examination.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor.
Keep us updated.
Best regards.
 AZNkou - Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:47 pm

Thanks for the reply. Actually, I went to see a doctor and all he said was it was nothing. That having gas feelings and abdominal pain was natural, but I didn't believe it. I've asked for pain medicine but he says give it a few days, it should be fine. Now I just wasn't sure because the pain worsen and I feel uneasy.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here