News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Abdominal Pain

clairebear9898 - Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:31 pm

I'm a 19 y/o female. For the past few days, I have had a burning-type sensation in my lower right abdomen kind of near my navel. This has happened a few times before, and usually goes away within a week, which is why I have not seen a doctor since it always goes away. It feels like an abdominal cramp, like what you can get if you are not hydrated enough and then go run. But, it only hurts if I stand up for a long period of time, or walk/run/anything physical like that. It does not hurt when I am sitting or lying down. I don't have any other symptoms, and all of my bowel movements are normal. What could this be/do I need to see a doctor, and if so, a regular doctor or a gynocologist, etc?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:30 pm

User avatar Hello,

The cause of this pain may be due to different causes that include:
-The urinary bladder, urethra and ureters.
- Genital tract.
- Colorectal.

The associated symptoms and signs may give better idea about the possible cause.
If you have urine frequency, dysuria, this makes urinary cause more likely.
If you have a vaginal discharge, pain during sex, irregular periods then a genital cause is suspected.
If there is change in your bowel habit , the colorectal origin is more likely to be responsible for this pain.

According to the symptoms you have given in other posts, Urinary causes should be excluded and a pelvic US, urine analysis and culture should be done.
-IVP and cystoscopy if needed.
-Sexually transmitted diseases should be excluded.

Follow up with your doctor is essential.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here