News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: timeline for symptoms

musedeplath - Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:38 pm

I was just wondering how long after infection with a liver-related disorder that any clay-colored stools would occur. Does this begin after a number of years or after 15-50 days? Thanks in advance.
 Dr. Leigh Anderson - Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:16 pm

User avatar Hi Musedeplath,

If you are referring to the infection of Hep C ?

Hepatitis C is usually spread from one person to another by direct exposure to infected blood or blood products, and needles or other sharp objects. (body piercings, tattoos ).

Although chronic hepatitis C may not produce symptoms, the damage to the liver often continues and gets worse with time. When the liver is damaged (for example, by the hepatitis C virus), it tries to repair itself and forms small scars. This scar formation is called fibrosis. . The liver damage caused by chronic hepatitis C usually occurs gradually over a period of 20 years.

Because hepatitis C infection can damage the liver without any symptoms, it is important to get diagnosed early and discuss treatment options with your doctor.

Clay colored stools can be passed without the presence of Liver problems.
 musedeplath - Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:57 pm

Thanks so much for your reply. I went to see my physician today and he did not seem concerned at all - so I guess everything is well. Thanks again Dr. Anderson
 Dr. Leigh Anderson - Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:05 pm

User avatar You are very welcomed
Take care Always

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here