Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: shadow on the liver

brightday - Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:09 am

My Mum has been told she has a cyst on one of her kidney's and a shadow on her liver. She will be having a CT scan sometime! She is 65 years ol, does not smoke or drink. Can you give me any ideas to what the medical term for shadow on the liver is? Does it sound like it's a tumor? I realise this is early stages but as you can imagine it is not surprising to think the worst.
 Dr. Russell M - Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:35 am

User avatar Hi!

I am not sure what your doctor was alluding to when he mentioned of the liver 'shadow,' but the term shadow need not always mean a tumor. While reviewing images, it is common to use the word 'shadow' to indicate normal organs, like the liver shadow or kidney shadow. But it is best to confirm your fears with your doctor rather than assuming.

Hope this helps.

bill

|