Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: atorvastatin and high bilirubin, reason to worry?

ahmegy - Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:11 am

41 y/o male, average weight, no medical history of significance, after my annual physical a few months ago all was ok and all lab tests were normal with the exception of some hyperlipidemia, so I received atorvastatin 20mg/day for 12 weeks. Then, stopped it and my labs showed elevated total bilirubin (25.1 umol/L), mostly unconjugated, with NORMAL AST, ALT, ALP, LDH, CPK and serum proteins. Blood lipids profile has normalized too. Hepatitis markers had been previously done as a part of a check up and were all negative and I don't have any symptoms or signs right now (but I did have some itchy drug reaction rashes on and off during the treatment and even once in the last 2 weeks after discontinuing the drug). I am rather concerned about the prognosis of this apparently cholestatic condition (as I was told), and the possibility of an aggravated hepatic condition. Could this elevation be a mere coincidence? If there is indeed a drug –induced cholestasis, could the enzyme levels start to rise after two weeks of discontinuation of the treatment, or do I have enough grounds to be reassured this is likely to be a self-limited reversible condition? What to be on the alert for in the future? How often must the liver lab tests be repeated and when to expect bilirubin to return to normal? For how long this condition may persist? Thanks a lot
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:53 pm

User avatar Dear ahmegy,

i don't think you have to worry about this very small increase in the bilirubin.

If you stop the medicine, your liver functions should normalize.

The level can be checked again in a month or so to insure complete resolution.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and I hope that this information helped.

|