Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: cirrhosis

kimberley - Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:03 pm

I was just concerned with my mother she has been a drinker for 30-40 yrs. so finding out now that she has cirrhosis of the liver comes as no surprise, my question is how do you know if she is in the late stages of this or early because she is not being honest with myself or my sibling but we are very concerned with her health. She is already yellow and her eyes are yellow and she has the swollen stomach we just want to know how long we have PLEASE HELP She won't tell us nothing.
 tannilisa - Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:53 pm

Hi there, I just read your post about your mom, sorry to hear that she's going through this. My mother had cirrhosis from heavy drinking, the first sign of end stage cirrhosis (late stage) was the ascites (swollen abdomin) and the jaundice (yellow eyes and skin) Its important that your mom quit drinking now and to get a specialist in liver disease right away. My mom quit drinking and did very well for about 4 years, she recently passed away in March though. There is a support group for people with cirrhosis and family members, it's very informative and will answer alot of your questions.the link is: Click here!

Take care
Tanya
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:10 am

User avatar Dear kimberley,
Please refer to our link on liver failure (click here!) for a brief review of the manifestations of late stage liver disease. To estimate survival in these patients physicians use a scoring system called the Child scoring system. Please use the following link to read about the Child system: click here!

|