News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Crohn's and STDs

owl457 - Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:15 am

My boyfriend (age 33) suffers from Crohn's and he is worried that he may be more at risk for contracting herpes from me than a person without Crohn's, even though I am on suppressive therapy. He feels that his daily medications diminish his immune system so greatly, that even with suppressive therapy, he will still get it and that his would be a much more severe case than normal people with herpes. Can you elaborate on his theory? We are both very uneducated about the effect STDs have on someone with Crohn's.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:51 pm

User avatar Many of the treatments for Crohn's syndrome do "weaken" the immune system making patients on them a bit more susceptible to infection. The degree of weakening depends on the medicine and dosing amounts.

Suppressive therapy helps control outbreaks of HSV but does not guarantee it won't be spread, even in "normal immune system" people.

I'm not aware of any specific data on HSV with Crohn's treatment. I recommend that your boyfriend discuss his case with his GI doctor to help elaborate his risks.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here