News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Upper right abdominal pain

cutie1981 - Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:57 pm

I am a 25 year old female and I have been having pain on the right side of my abdomen (basically at the bottom of my ribcage),nausea and some vomitting.. The pain started out by my right hip and then moved up the area mentioned after about 3 days. Once the pain moved, I was diognosed with pancreatitis via bloodwork and ultrasound, and hospitalized for a day. After that the pain slowly decreased and I had no pain for about 3 days. The pain came back last thursday night, and today when I went to the ER, all my bloodwork was normal and the abdominal and pelvic ultrasound was normal as well. I had my appendix removed in November of 2006 due to pain by the right hip, when I was diognosed with the pancreatitis my dr mentioned that he belives that that was my issue in december as well. I am just looking for some answers as to why I am still having the pain and nausea with no apparent cause.
THanks
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:04 pm

User avatar Have you had your gallbladder examined? A common cause of recurrent pancreatitis as well as right upper quadrant abdominal pain is gallstones.

Gallstones may or may not be seen by ultrasound. Also, sometimes fine "sand-like" stones can form known as sludge that can be difficult to see on US as well. If you continue to have symptoms you may want to have this looked into more. Specifically if you have pancreatitis again, you may need an ERCP or MRCP (same test but performed via direct endoscopy vs MRI respectively) to look for any stones in the pancreatic duct.

Gallstones are more common in women of childbearing age so you are at risk from that standpoint.

Keep us updated. Hope this helps some.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here