Question: Stomach pain and nausea

mizmisty - Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:34 am

Last night I got a strange stomach ache. But was able to go to sleep. I slept for a few hours and then when I woke up. My stomach was killing me. The pain comes and goes this morning, with occasional nausea. Its to the right of my bellybutton. But my whole stomach is sore but the pain is bad right over on the right of the bellybutton. My sister has demanded that I go straight to the ER but its not bad all of the time just occasionally it hurts tremendously. And I have children, I just cant run to the ER for a stomach virus. Does that sound like what it is to everyone else?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:22 pm

User avatar Dear mizmisty,
The mildest of abdominal pains may herald an urgently correctable lesion. Any patient with abdominal pain of recent onset requires early and thorough evaluation and accurate diagnosis.
That said, abdominal pain is a very challenging case. The reason being that there are many reasons for abdominal pain some are even outside the abdomen. To help narrow down the causes a physician focuses on the site of pain and the associated symptoms.

It seems that your pain is localized mainly around the umbilicus; however, it could also be in the right upper part of the abdomen (right hyposchondrium).

Pain in the right hyposchondrium:
Causes in the liver:
Causes in the gall bladder:
    Biliary colic
    Cholecystitis
Causes in the colon:
    Distension or spasm of the hepatic flexure of the colon.
Pain in the periumbulical area:
Causes in the intestines
    Obstruction
    Mesenteric occlusion
    Enteritis
Do you have any associated symptoms?
Do you have a fever? diarrhea? constipation? vomiting? Is the painful area tender to the touch? Is the pain in the form of a colic? Have you taken any medication to make it better?

If your symptoms seem to be improving then you could wait and see. If however, it continues to be painful all through today or suddenly increases in intensity then you should go to the ER immediately.

|