News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: ibs symptoms

tommy girl - Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:13 pm

hi there,

I just want to ask what are the symptoms of IBS? I'm 33 y/o, female, married with 2kids and have lactose intolerance. I had Colonoscopy and results came back normal. I just want to know because lately I'm having different shapes of stools, from bulky, long to thin and small..along with tummy grumbling and mild pain.

thanks, any input will be appreciated.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:01 am

User avatar There are several symptoms that go along with IBS. Abdominal pain, fatigue, bloated feelings, diarrhea and feelings of incomplete evacuation (as if one isn't finished going) are among them.

The symptoms can be similar to inflammatory bowel disease. For this reason, colonoscopy may be performed. The results, in contrast to inflammatory bowel disease, do not show inflammation as IBS is a functional problem-meaning that it appears to have more to do with the proper functioning of the bowel rather than any inflammation or infection.

Most commonly IBS present with diarrhea but forms with constipation have been recognized.

Diagnostic criteria have been established. There are a few different criteria used including the Manning criteria, the Rome II criteria and the newly revised Rome III criteria.

Essentially all of them look for persistent abdominal pain that is somewhat relieved by defecation and changes in stooling patterns.

Hope this helps.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here