News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: enlarged spleen

sandscollins - Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:44 am

Hi
I am a 30 year old female. I have been feeling ill for months. I have costochronditis and now an abdominal ultrasound has shown that I have an enlarged spleen. It hurts on the upper left side of my abdomin-throbbing pain. I am also suffering from muscle and joint pain all through my body and terrible headaches which seem to be situated over my eyes-it is like they are piercing right in my eyes. I am also having chronic diahrea. I am on celexa and prevacid for heartburn. I had blood work(CBC) which found nothing wrong and a CT scan of my chest and lungs because they thought I had a blood clot but they found no trace in heart or lungs. I suffer from constant urinary tract infections(one every 2-3 months) and I am at my wit's end as to what to do. My dr keeps blaming my nerves but I just feel that it is not it. I am in so much pain all the time and I cannot get in to see my dr until April 5th. What do you think is going on? I am so tired because I am in so much pain I cannot sleep at night. I just need some kind of reassurance that everything is going to be ok.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:57 am

User avatar There are several possible causes for an enlarged spleen. Given your other symptoms, I suspect that the cause may be due to an infection. You seem to be experiencing a mononucleosis-like syndrome that can cause the spleen to swell, diffuse body aches, headaches, fatigue and many other symptoms. The most common causes of this are the viruses EBV and CMV, though there are others.

I recommend that you follow up with your doctor. In the mean time, be sure to rest and eat/drink as healthy as you can.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here