Question: Mucus with stools

iarettig - Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:39 am

I am a 36 yr. old female (caucasion/hispanic). I have suffered with irritable bowel syndrome since the age of 21. I primarily suffer with diarrhea vs. consitpation. About two weeks ago I began passing transparent mucus with my stools. At the onset of this I was also suffering with a reoccuring bacterial vaginosis infection. My gyn prescribed Flagyl. (I completed the flagyl yesterday and am not not taking any medication.)I have noticed that the mucus seemed to subside, but is now back today. Is it possible that I am having issues with my intestines and that could be causing the vaginal infection as well? Do I need to be alarmed about the mucus with my stools? No surgeries to report, but I did have a 4th degree episiotomy with the delivery of my son Jan 2006. My Mother suffers with IBS (consitpation). Her Grandmother passed of colon cancer.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:53 am

User avatar Often mucous in the stool is a signal of inflammation of the GI tract. The mucous is secreted to coat the lining of the intestines and help healing. The inflammation may be due to infection or other causes such as inflammatory bowel disease.

I would recommend that you see your doctor for evaluation if this persists for more than 1-2 days.

Regarding the connection to bacterial vaginosis I am not aware of any-but that does not mean that it does not exist.

iarettig - Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:09 am

Thank you for the information, Dr. Lowe. So are you saying that sometimes a person may have infammation of the GI tract, but with the mucus used to pass bowel movements have healing on their own?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:36 pm

User avatar It is possible for the GI tract to heal and the inflammation to subside. This is especially true if the beginning cause is an infection. As the infection resolves, the GI tract will heal.

However, there are some causes of inflammation that are much less likely to "just go away". If you continue to have the mucous in your stool I would recommend that you see your doctor for an evaluation. You may need a colonoscopy to evaluate the lining of your large intestine for any problems.

iarettig - Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:40 pm

Thank for the clarification. I have an appointment scheduled with a specialist tomorrow. I am crossing my fingers my my problem is minor.

|