News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Pathogen testing

Tizok - Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:03 pm

Hello,

Back in 1997 I went to Mexico and drank a small amount of water. Around the same time I also spent alot of time under the floor of an old pier and beam house doing work. I point that out because of the countless strange molds, fungi, etc... in such moist/dark locations. Anyway, I received some anti-biotics that mostly cleared up the diarrea from my trip. But seemed to be left with softer stools than normal. In addition, I soon got a rectal abcess that required purging.

Well, at the end of February 2004 ANOTHER rectal abcess put me under. This time was very deep and required a hospital stay. My stools are still soft but probably wouldn't quite be described a diarrea. I have no blood in stools, absolutely zero pain in the gut and feel completely normal and healthy with no genetic likelihood for problems. During the two week time I took anti-biotics, flagyl and levaquin, my stools were COMPLETELY normal, then afterwards returned to soft stools.

I will soon have a stool sample tested. Apon visiting my doctor he wrote, my writing in parenthesis, "stool culture for clostridia difficile, campylobactor(I assume this to include arcolbacter and helicobacters?), yersemia(or versemia..spelling?), stool for O&P(I assume ova and parasites), white cells". Is there anything else I should have them look for while they're testing my stools? I thought perhaps girdia, helecopactor pylori, and bacterium avion paratuberculosis MAP but don't think this lab tests for the latter. Are those necessary and any others you recommend? Do you have contact info for a good, large lab that can test for these additional non-standard pathegens?

Thanks.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:56 am

User avatar Rectal ulcer may require surgival intervention. Have you performed a CT scan? It may have nothing to do with your trip to Mexico. Peri-rectal abscess is usually caused by polymicrobial aerobic and anaerobic infections. Bacteroides fragilis is the predominant anaerobe. Other common bacteria include Escherichia coli and those of the genera Proteus, Bacteroides, and Streptococcus.

The fact that the abscess recurred suggests an underlying cause which should be investigated. That may include : Immunosuppression, Diabetes, Crohn disease, Ulcerative colitis.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here