Question: Functional Abdominal Pain

bindy - Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:34 am

Hi, I'm 16, female, and have had chronic abdominal pain for over ayear now....

I have had x-rays, ultrasounds, a CT Scan, a Gastroscopy, and numerous blood tests.

My area of abdominal pain is centred in the upper abdomen, it is always there sometimes not debilitating but at times (seems like after activity) is increased.

I have recently been to see a bone and muscle specialist and was told that there seemed to be no muscular/skeletal dmage causing this, and that a surgical consult coudl be a valid option. Previously i had been reffered to a gastroenterologist who performed a Gastroscopy- results were normal. Going back to my GP i was once again referred back to the gastroenterologist, she was thinking colonoscopy. I have now been back to gastroenterologist and he does not belive there is any reason as to why i shoudl have a colonoscopy. To be sure he has order i have some blood tests and if anythign is suss there then possibly a colonoscopy will be carried out.

He is thinking my abdominal pain is FUNCTIONAL ABDOMINAL PAIN because nothing has been found. he has said that we should get the surgical consult and at least talk it over and see wether it is worth goign in for a look around or not. But if my blood tests come back normal, then he is suggesting that i have functional abdominal pain.

if i coudl get any information about this it would eb rgeatly appreciated.

Bindy
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:20 pm

User avatar Dear Bindy,

This is a link about functional abdominal pain http://www.aboutibs.org/Publications/CFAP.html

Chronic abdominal pain can be caused by conditions that are not thought of traditionally including familial mediteranean fever, porphyria, hereditary angioneurotic edema and abdominal epilepsy.

Usually, these conditions are associated with other symptoms such as fever, swelling of the body and others. But it is always something of think of when all other tests come back negative.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and I hope that this information helped.

zammie - Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:53 am

this happens in the morning when i am clearing my throat,and i am not a smoker
is this something serious.
 tweety99 - Wed May 06, 2009 5:19 pm

I am 83, just today I got pain in my stomach, it goes across the stomach and burns, but only when I stand up, not when I lie down. No fever, nausea,etc. Any ideas

|