Question: pain in left side of stomach

djanthonyb - Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:07 pm

iam a 23 yr old male i have had no bowl movements for 3 days i have taken laxatives and stool softners this morning i woke up to a pain in the left side of my stomach about even with my belly button the pain has progressed as the day goes on know the only time it dosnt hurt is when im siting down it has moved lower as well but it doesnt seem to hurt as bad in the lower area as it does in my left side i do take medication for bipolar which is olanzipine
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:09 pm

User avatar You may be experiencing pain related to severe constipation. I have seen this produce fairly severe pain. It generally resolves after bowel movements have been reestablished.

If your pain continues to worsen I would recommend that you be evaluated by your doctor. There are a few conditions including diverticulitis and possible a retrocecal appendicitis that can give abdominal pain such as this.

Once you are more regular, you may want to talk to your doctor about a bowel regimen to keep you regular and prevent future constipation.

|