Question: Narrow stools - gluten test, allergy testing, endoscopy

shonester - Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:20 pm

I always have narrow stools. It usually starts out pellety and narrow which isn't too bad (in terms of fuctioning on a daily basis) but then it just keeps getting narrower and narrower. I then feel really ill and I expolode (its not even diahrrea, just muck). I started taking Kashi cereal which kind of helped keep it in the pellety stage a little longer, like an extra day or two. (high fibre food never helped before, only this particular cereal). However, it has now gotten to the point that the pellety stage has not returned and my stool is just very narrow and uncomfortable. I am not really eating - its been two months. I have had this problem for 5 years now but it has gotten worse. The doctors initially said it was IBS, but I NEVER have gone properly in those 5 years. I have had all the blood work, gluten test, allergy testing, endoscopy, colonoscopy, gastric emptying test and CT scan (but I did not swallow the barium prior to it). Nothing has shown up - the latest gastro specialist said she doesnt think its IBS but does not know what else it is. I am not too stressed and have a good life (despite the fact this has interrupted my life in terms of going out and doing much ever) - I even went in for a psychiatric evaluation and was told my problem must be physical and I do not seem to have an stress or anxiety.

My question is: What else can this be? I have tried going off wheat, milk, raw vegetables, meat and a variety of other things. I have tried an anti-spastic medication and Pariet. They did not help. Was the CT scan poor b/c I did not take the barium prior to it? We've ruled out Crohn's, colitis and cancer already. What should I do? B/c right now I am not eating anything besides jello and soup and the drs have no idea what to even prescribe me - they are doing nothing while I am at home kind of "wasting away".
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:42 pm

User avatar Narrow stools are typically a sign of an obstruction of the colon. This would generally have been seen on a colonoscopy. It sounds as if you have had a very good work up. CT scans are not quite as helpful without oral contrast but often good information can still be obtained.

Since an anatomical obstruction or narrowing of the colon was not found I wonder if you may have increased muscular tone causing the muscles to squeeze too tightly (essentially causing a functional narrowing). Given your problems with loose stools I supsect you may have a motility problem. This would go along with abnormal muscular tone.

There are some GI specialists that can use specialized equipment to measure colonic pressures and movement. You may want to see if there is one in your area.

Keep in mind that all this is theoretical. I do not know if this issue actually occurs in people; however, to my knowledge, it certainly may.

|