Question: My grandfather's stomach is growling - dark brown stools

PaulYoakum - Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:38 pm

My mother and I are taking care of my grandfather. He is 84 years old and has a history of UTIs (I don't know if that's important) and recently underwent a related surgery, as well as vascular dementia (making him dependant on us for his care). For the last 24 hours I have noticed his stomach growling on a farely regular basis, and in that time he has had 3 bowel movements which have been soft but solid. 1 of them was medium brown in color, but the other 2 were very dark brown (but not black). He has a doctor's appointment in a week, but what I am wondering is whether or not this is potentially a serious problem that we should take care of now, or wait (making notes of further bowel movements) and just bring this problem up with his doctor?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:41 pm

User avatar I would suggest that you continue to watch your grandfather closely. It is possible that he is coming down with a GI virus. Watch for fevers, diarrhea and vomiting. The important thing is that he stays well hydrated.

If it appears that he is getting sicker, I would recommend he be evaluated. If his doctor is not able to see him sooner he can go to the urgent care.

PaulYoakum - Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:58 pm

will do.
thank you

|