Question: Had precancerous polyp removed - still problems

datafiend - Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:19 am

Hi, I am a 25 yr old male. Last year I had stomach pains and some bowel issues and got a colonoscopy. I was found to have a precancerous polyp which they removed. I was also found to have hemrhoids. This was about 6 months ago.

I basically don't know what to do now. I still have frequent bowel problems my GI doc said it is probably IBS. The main problem is that my stools tend to be thin or loose. I also have some bouts with mucus in my stool.

I don't know of my family history of it, although I have an aunt that has had polyps removed.

Could a new polyp have grown back so fast? Are my problems more likely to be caused by IBS and not another polyp?

I lie awake at night worrying about it, since I know I'm young to have a precancerous polyp. The doctors haven't done much to ease my pain or suffering and frankly don't seem to really care.

I take some benzos once in awhile to help out and it does, but it does not change my bowel movements. It just stops me from freaking out about it and helps me relax.

This whole thing has changed my life for the worst and has made me a nervous wreck. Unfortunately I don't know where to turn anymore. I didn't have any insurance then and I still don't, my illness made me quit my job prematurely as I was constantly uncomfortable. My previous visits to the GI doctor made me lose almost everything I had and I am still in debt to them and will probably be for many years. I also feel that they did not help me at all (aside from removing the polyp) and provided me with no reassurances, discussion or anything. They even told me to go elsewhere to get medication and I had to visit a GP to get the benzos.

Should I worry? Should I not be concerned about another polyp for another few years? I was told I should have a colonoscopy every 3 years...is that really enough to ward off cancer?

Is it possible that my GI doc missed something?

Thank you for your help and time. I was going to see doctors until I payed all my earnings and savings for my entire life over to a series of hospital/GI/GP visits and procedures. This is my last hope to get a doctors opinion without driving myself further into debt.

Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:04 am

User avatar It is unlikely that a polyp is causing your symptoms. They sound as if they fit with IBS well.

The Rome criteria for IBS are:

At least 3 months, with onset at least 6 months previously of recurrent abdominal pain or discomfort** associated with 2 or more of the following:
• Improvement with defecation; and/or
• Onset associated with a change in frequency of stool; and/or
• Onset associated with a change in form (appearance) of stool
**Discomfort means an uncomfortable sensation not described as pain. (Taken from http://www.romecriteria.org)

Polyps can recur so this is the reason for the colonoscopy every 3 years.

If you are able I would recommend seeing a GI specialist. There are often clinics that can offer free or reduced fee services for those that don't have insurance. Your local health department can help find these clinics.

|