Question: painful burning sensation & really bad smelling gas

GDK - Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:23 pm

Hello ive had problems of painful and bad smelling gas for over the past 1 and a half years it started when i was at college it was so bad that i dropped out of college 6 weeks before the end of the year when it happens in class i get panic attacks and i have to get out of the situation so i tell the teacher ive got an appointment ive had friends comment on the smell and they have said that i smell and did you have an accident this is so annoying it has ruined my life beyond belief i have had thoughts of suicide because i wake up to this problem just about everyday and the year after so in 2006 i never went back to school i stayed home and lived there doing basically nothing for a year this problem made me so depressed because i couldent be normal and hang out with the rest of my friends ive never been overweight im quite fit but not as fit as i used to be since ive quit doing sports like boxing which was 3 times a week and most other sports like rollerblading and i don't surf so much anymore im currently 18 i lost a whole year to this stupid thing i had dreams of travelling to japan and thailand but i couldent because of this gas problem at the start of 2006 i thought this thing will go away and ill use this year off to travel to japan and thailand but it didnt go away so i never went i lived a healthy lifestyle i never eat takeaway food and i grow my own vegies ive tried so many things switching my eating habits my diet but nothing has seemed to work at all its now 2007 and i got myself a girlfriend at the start of this year im back at the same college but this problem is still there i go to the class's i can attend when my gas is not really bad but i miss the ones when it is really bad i beg of someone to help me i don't wont to lose a miniute more of my life to this problem and i especially don't want to lose my girlfriend i know she has smelled it i try go out of the room when she stays at my house when i have gas because even if its just a small amount of gas it makes me feel sick smelling it i just want to live a normal life again ive been to doctors and seen a Gastroenterologist at the hospital ive had a colonoscopy done results are normal and im awaiting results of biopsies but i had a upper endoscopy done the oesophagus was diag as normal the duodenum was diag normal to the second part but in my stomach they found multiple small errosions throughout my stomach they put me on omeprazole its been 1 week since i started taking it it could be my mind but my problem has seemed to worsen on my colonoscopy report it recommend i try an antispasmotic agent and regular laxatives ive been getting constipated but the main problem is the gas and the burning feeling i get when releasing it the gas its only when releasing gas that i get the burning feeling it is possibly the worst smell ive ever smelt in my life can someone please help me i beg of you please i don't want to lose another year at school
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:17 pm

User avatar I would recommend that you continue to follow up with your GI doctor. I would suggest that you be tested for celiac disease. You may also consider seeing if perhaps you have a food intolerance, such as lactose intolerance. There are several foods that make up the bulk of food allergies: wheat, eggs, dairy, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts. soy, and fish. You may want to try to eliminate all these from your diet (not an easy thing to do) for about a month and see if your symptoms get better. If they do, you can add them back in one by one to see which you can tolerate and which you cannot.

Also, with the ulcerations in your stomach you should be tested for a bacteria called H. pylori that can cause gastritis.

Best wishes. I hope this helps a little.
 GDK - Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:37 am

thankyou for your help ill be sure to have those tests carried out as soon as i find out who can do them because i live in a place were there a large ques i had to wait 3 months for an endosopy who else conducts these tests and what are the practicionars usually called many thanks again dr chan lowe i cant thank you enough for helping me

|