Question: Esophagus swelling-lump in throat sensation

logans_2000 - Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:24 pm

I'm a 45 year old male.
3-4 years ago I had a condition that was never diagnosed. It lasted a few months, went away for a few years, but now is back. I feel sort of like I have a lump in my throat and can't get rid of it.....like a shirt collar that is buttoned too tight. When I burp, the pressure goes away but seems to come back within a minute or two. There is no acid reflux, just a feeling of pressure in the mid to upper stomach, along with the feeling of pressure around my adam's apple. It's very uncomfortable, sometimes to the point of feeling like you're going to gag. The last time I had this, the doctor's tested for H Pylori, did a scan of my entire mid region, etc. and never did find out what the problem was. After a few months of tests and doctor appointments, it went away so I forgot about it. Now it's back and I need to figure out what the problem is so I don't have to suffer for months again. Although partially similar to what others have posted on here, I don't have loose stools, absolutely no acid reflux, etc. just the uncomfortable feeling in my throat area and sensation of some pressure right below my rib cage. When I drink soda or other liquid, I seem to burp more and that temporarily makes me feel better but again............no acid reflux at all. Any ideas?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:25 pm

User avatar It sounds as if you may be having some esophageal muscle spasms. I would recommend that you see a GI specialist. There are some imaging studies that can be helpful in determining if this is the problem, such as a barium swallow.

There are treatments for this condition, if this is indeed what is going on.

|