Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: My GI cant find the problem

bodave2 - Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:43 pm

Ive had high enzymes up and down for the last 5 years, I itch bad if i come off my Questrin. My lvls are only in the 90-100 range so not sky high, we had every test run, I have no Hep, No Mono, I had a Ultra Sound, Liver Biopsy , I have no fibroses and my cells look great he said. last few labs have been normal but i still tingle in my hands and feet and have the itching secondary to liver diseases. My doc says Im healthy but cant not explain the itching or liver function fluxuation from high to normal. He is a very highly respected GI and the 4th Dr. to come up empty handed on my diagnosis. Is there any studies being done on this ? anyone i can contact ?, its unbearable.

-Dave

PS. Could this be a gaulblatter issue? I had the ultrasound and it saw no stones.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:16 pm

User avatar It sounds as if you've had a very thorough work up already. I really can't think of much else to add. Have you had a HIDA scan? This is a nuclear medicine study that uses a small amount of radioactive tracer to see if the liver is excreting substances properly. It can be very sensitive at detecting problems with liver function if there is a blockage, etc.

If the questran is helping your itching and your liver is normal, one possibility would be that your GI tract is reabsorbing bile salts too much. Questran binds to the bile salts and inhibits their reabsorption. I am not aware of any such conditions that exist; however, theoretically it makes sense. Theories often don't translate to reality well though.

Also, if your ultrasound was done without doppler flow evaluation this should be done to be sure that the blood flow entering and exiting the liver is normal.

Sorry I can't be of much more help.

|