Question: Rectal discomfort

Ricky D - Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:05 am

I am a male 38 years old. I have had for the last year discomfort after bowel movements. Sensations of not emptying and thin stools. 6 Months ago I had a colonospy and two small polyups where removed. Still had the same problem except stools are normal. No abdominal pains whatsovever. Every time I have a bowel movement, 20 minutes after the movement and for up to 4-5 hours afterwards I have substantial discomfort in the rectum. When it goes away, I feel normal. This happens every day. My doctor now thinks it is a hemorroid and has prescribed antiimflamitory and sitz bath. It has been 6 weeks and there has been no change. I excercise almost every day and take fiber and water daily. Any ideas? Thank you.
 Eierannach - Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:39 am

I am not a dr but having been through similar symptoms I thought I'd throw in my two cents. (keep in mind that what I say might not be accurate!)
If you are constipated, which sounds plausible with your thin stools and sensation of not fully emptying, then the pain you feel could be related to spasms in the muscles surrounding the rectum and perianal area. Your GI might suggest a test called anal monometry which tests the pressures that build inside the rectum during bearing down to have a movement. Occasionally this will show that your muscles are contracting paradoxically, or causing spasms which can cause intense pain. Bioffedback is a technique that "retrains" you, essentially, how to correctly bear down for moving your bowels. Antispasmodics can also help in easing the pain if indeed this is the case.
if you dr is correct in that you have internal hemorrhoids but your current treatment is not helping, you may want to consider having them treated surgically. It's a very common procedure and is well worth the pain relief.
It doesn't sound like you are suffering from a fissure because this would most likely cause more pain during the actual bowel movement as stool passes the absecced area. Fiisures and fistulas are painful on digital examination.
Although it's more common among women, check for rectal prolapse, which can occur with heavy lifting or tenesmus. (straining). If a reddish mass protrudes from the anus, it could be prolapse rather than hemorrhoids (as seen by the scarlet reddish color as opposed to blue which is characteristic of hemorrhoids)

Try a heating pad as well. I have great rectal pain and that in addition to the antispasmodic and warm baths are the only relief I can get. I feel your pain, and hope you get an answer soon!

|