Question: pain in upper abdomen

johnny fiaso - Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:15 pm

Im a 25 year old male non smoker or drinker, Ive had pain in my upper thigh near the groin , it goes away in different positions. Lately i have been having pain in my upper abdomin right below my rib cage it goes away and comes back , when active i rarely feel any pain, and the pain isnt unbearable but uncomfortable. Also sometimes i feel like a rumble wich causes me to cough. please help
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:31 pm

User avatar Hi johnny fiaso - It sounds as though you probably have a few different things going on which happen more or less at the same time but are probably unrelated. The upper leg/groin pain sounds like something muscular, especially because it is eased by position changes. You might have this checked to make sure you don't have a small inguinal hernia, but otherwise it is probably not anything significant.

The upper abdominal pain is likely GI in origin, quite possibly due to trapped gas in the hepatic flexure of the colon. This could also account for the "rumbling", which could either be intestinal motility (churning) and/or a premature heartbeat; you didn't give the location of the sensation. If it is in the area of the pain it's probably movement in the gut. If it is in the chest it is probably a premature heartbeat, something that is common enough in healthy people and which often occurs in conjunction with stomach and intestinal activity (sometimes due to irritabilty) because the same nerve that controls activity in the digestive tract also is responsible for slowing the heart rate. This slowing or "braking" action often produces premature heartbeats and people often, in describing these early beats, say that they make them feel as though they need to cough.

It all sounds pretty normal, really, although I would probably suggest having the leg/groin area checked by a physician to rule out a hernia. Otherwise things sound pretty normal.
 johnny fiaso - Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:30 pm

thank you , the only thing is that i actuall do cough and ithe flem taste metally.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:38 pm

User avatar Hello again - Oh! You would seem to have some sort of respiratory congestion. I don't know about the metallic taste, but the "rumble" must be what we call "rales" or crackling in the lungs where there is congestion. The upper abdomen pain, then, might actually be lower lung pain, and you might have a touch of pneumonia. Definitely get this checked out. At worst it would probably mean going on a week or two of an antibiotic. And don't forget to get that leg/groin checked at the same time.

Much clearer picture! Thank you.
 johnny fiaso - Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:03 am

I noticed lumps on both my wrist they are soft and not painful at all , the one on my right wrist is not noticible unless i put pressure on it.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:32 am

User avatar Hello again - It seems you have a number of unrelated phyisical issues going on at the same time, any of which would deserve an exam by a general practitioner. It's difficult to guess at what may be causing these things, but they all do seem to be unrelated.

I'd make an appointment for a complete physical and mention all three of these things to your doctor. None of them seem especially serious but they are also things which, from the sound of them, ought not to be ignored indefinitely either.

Good luck too you.
 johnny fiaso - Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:55 pm

thank you very much sir , i truly appreciate you reply to all my questions. I will go as soon as i can. Thank you again

|