Question: FASTING to cure anal fissure?

kiri46 - Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:11 am

I am sick of it now, it seems no matter how good my diet is, my hemorrhoids and anal fissure wont go away. The doctors say i have got IBS but even the softest stool irritates the anal fissure.The only logical thing to me seems to be to fast for a few days to give it chance to heal. Is it a good idea?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:50 pm

User avatar I do not believe that fasting will help heal your anal fissures. Acute anal fissures will generally heal with the treatments you have described. Chronic fissures (as it sounds like you have) often do not respond to such treatments. They often need some medications to help relax the internal sphincter muscle.

The theory is that the internal sphincter contracts so strongly that it compromises blood flow and impairs healing. There are several types of medications (mostly topical) that can be tried. If these fail there is a surgical procedure to decrease the contraction of the muscle some that often will be helpful.

I would recommend you see a GI specialist to help get you the correct treatment for your situation.

|