Question: Diverticulutus and Constipation

bse123 - Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:19 am

Age 32
Male
Diverticulutus
No past Surgeries
Family History is Cancer on Mom's Side and Heart disease on my Dads side.
At this time about 2 weeks ago I was diagnosed with Diverticulutus due to straining to hard when having a bowel movement. So I got the pain in the left side and took some pills as the Doctor gave me. This helped in about 5 days and I went back for 2 checkups in the week and half time frame.
The first time it was still sore, so I kept taking the pills a couple more days which were good as the pain went away fully.
The second visit went even better as I felt 100%
2 days later I feel ok, but Bowel movement are not great yet.
When this started 2 weeks ago I decided to eat 100% better and exercise. The problem is Bowel movements are not like I want. I did increase fiber by ways of Benefiber powder and fruits whole grain products and cereals etc.
At this time I feel I have to go to the bathroom but it feels like it is so constipated, but this morning I sat around till 6 am and finally had a small movement, not enough to make me feel better, but it was not all that hard either. I took Milk of Magnesia again the night before around 7pm to help.
My thing is now it seems even having fiber I still seem to get bound up. Is this an issue with getting used to Fiber and exercising and eating better?
The Doctor Monday listen to my Colon and said it sound great.
I'm trying to eat better to avoid any surgery since I’m so young.
I also drink more water than ever before no soda in the last 2 weeks.
After the appointment on Monday I had to eat was
Chicken on a wheat wrap with Lettuce and a cup of fruit and some oat meal cookies.
Tuesday had cereal and fruit and a PB jelly sandwich and Pork loin on a wheat wrap.

[/b]
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:23 pm

User avatar You may still have hard stool that has not yet passed. Generally, increasing fiber helps but it can take some time. You may want to talk with your doctor about starting a stool softener. These can be used in conjunction with a stimulant to induce bowel movements.

When one is dealing with constipation, the goal should be to have soft stool that is still formed in order to reduce any risk of redeveloping impaction.

|