Question: Esophagus pain, when eating

straight - Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:44 pm

Every time I eat, the food hurts going down. It doesn't hurt when I breathe, just when I eat. The pain is similar to swallowing a horse pill or a piece of hard candy that gets lodged in your throat and causes pain while slowly inching down your esophagus. The pain is most prominent in the section of my chest where the ribs meet, from my sternum on down. My throat doesn't hurt, as in strep throat; I guess it's just my esophagus. Any ideas?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:25 pm

User avatar Dear Straight,

How long have you been having this symptom and is it getting better, worse or staying the same?

Did you notice that it happens with all kinds of foods only or with all types of foods and does it happen every time you eat anything? Does it have anything to do with the size of the bite that you ate?

Does it happen when you have beverages or just with solid food?

Have you tried taking any medications for it or seeing a doctor?

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped and waiting for your update.

straight - Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:21 pm

It doesn't have to do with the size of bite I take; I ate some soup today and it didn't hurt as bad, but there is still that sensation of something getting caught in my esophagus.
It started two days ago and has got worse since.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:50 pm

User avatar Dear Straight,

Pain in the esophagus while eating usually indicates either inflammation or infection or trauma.

Try not to eat traumatic food or spicy food and try some over the counter anti-acids to see if they are going to help.

My suggestion is to wait like for a week and if does not start to improve, i would suggest that you see your doctor to have an endoscopy done.

|