Question: Chronic stomach pain

amroy - Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:16 am

I am a 42 y/o male diagnosed 5 years ago with a peptic ulcer, acid reflux and gastritis -with polyps in my throat and stomach. I have no history of stomach cancer in my family. I am currently taking Nexium (40mg twice daily), Motililium-M (10mg 3 times daily), Disflatyl 40mg & Buscopan as needed. My doctors suspected the cause of my ulcer was due to H-Pylorie, the results where negative. My symptoms do not seem to be getting any better; only worse. I had a cancer test recently which was negative. My doctors are unable to tell me the cause which is the reason why I am posting this message in hopes of finding someone who can help. I had my gallbladder removed 3 years ago which doesn't help matters, I now cannot eat any red meat or drink any milk without feeling excruciating stomach pain. I believe that most of my trouble is gas caused by the foods such as milk and beans make me feel even worse. Sometimes the gas gets to be so bad that it causes heart palpitations. I have tried beano and lactaid which offer little or no relief. The only medicine that seems to help is my anti-flatulence medicine (disflatyle) and buscopan (for stomach cramps). I travel a lot to Asian countries and dine on the local food. I recently was diagnosed with a throat infection which I believe was due to rinsing my toothbrush with the local water. I was treated with anti-biotics and not only the throat infection disappeared but the stomach cramps and diarrhea went away temporary and came back again within a week. I went back to the doctor to tell him this and he looked at me like I was crazy and prescribed more medicine that doesn't seem to work and I just feel like I am wasting my money. What would you suggest that I do, I just purchased 500 mg Cipro tablets x2 for 7 days treatment. Do you think that this will help? Thank you....
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:41 pm

User avatar Your symptoms may be due to H. Pylori, even though the test was negative. Given the ongoing nature of your symptoms I would suggest that you see a GI specialist and possibly have an endoscopy to get a direct look at the stomach lining and biopsies.

This will give the best idea of what is going on. I would not recommend taking the Cipro until advised to do so by your doctor.

|