Question: Abdominal Pains & Endoscope Help!

Carly - Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:47 am

Hi I’m a 23 yr old Female I’ve been having pain in my upper abdominal area basically from my belly button up... its a niggly pain that’s never seems to go. A few weeks ago I had a protruding lump sticking out of the center of my abdomen. (Just below my ribs, very painful, with shortness of breath at times and very gassy).
I was recently sick for 4days and had to go into hospital to be put on a drip because I was so weak. The whole of my stomach is tender I’m also getting sharp pains on my right side (Above hip) followed by pains in my back (Lower back - kidney area) I have lost a stone in weight since it happened and cannot eat properly (constantly feel sick and very tired) but have (Buccastem) to help me with sickness.

My GP said the lump was because the acid had burnt the top of my stomach lining and then I couldn’t eat or drink hence being constantly sick! I’ve been on Esemeprozole 40mgs for 4 weeks now and I’m still getting the pain. I have been for an ultrasound scan and was told all is ok apart from sediment that seems to be staying in my bladder? I recently got referred to a gastrologist who told me he didn’t want to put me through an endoscope because the esepeprozole will have taken away anything that’s there! He took some blood tests for celiac and a few other things and said he would see me in 2 months time to see how I’m getting on.
I had the blood tests last week and I had a phone call from the hospital telling me my gastrolgist wants me in this Friday (3 days notice) for an endoscope!!? I don’t understand? He said he didn’t want me to have this? Why could he have changed his mind? Are the symptoms above anything bad? Please help!! Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed May 02, 2007 2:16 pm

User avatar There are several possible causes of your pain, ranging from gastritis to ulcers to inflammatory bowel disease.

It may be that your GI doctor is suspicious of inflammatory bowel disease. Esomeprazole will not treat this. It is generally diagnosed by direct visualization and biopsy of the GI tract (including the colon).

An endoscopy is important, especially since you don't seem to be getting better. It may be that your GI doctor simpy decided to go ahead with the scope to make sure things are getting better or see if there is anything else that needs to be treated.

Carly - Thu May 03, 2007 3:09 am

Thank you for your reply... When i had the endoscopy they told me I still had a bit of gastritis and have taken Biopsys. I will let you know the out come.

|