News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Colitis

nic1979 - Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:13 pm

I am a 28 year old female, and for the past three weeks I have had severe pain in the lower right quadrant of my pelvis. The pain ranges from a severe "stabbing" sensation, to a milder throbbing sensation.

The pain gets worse whenever there is pressure applied to the pelvic area. The pain intensifies when I cough/laugh, and is absolutely excruciating when I have a bowel movement. The area is also very tender to the touch. There is also pain during intercourse. (I am married and have had the same partner for 6 years.)

I had an ultrasound (including trans-vaginal), and there were no ovarian cysts. I had a CT scan with contrast of my GI tract, and Colitis was found. I then had a colonoscopy, and there were two findings: 5 Internal Hemorrhoids, and there is another pelvic organ that is inflamed and pushing into the wall of my colon. I am now awaiting an MRI to see which of the pelvic organs is inflamed.

My doctor mentioned that the inflamed pelvic organ could be one of my reproductive organs.

My question is: Which of my reproductive organs is it likely to be? What could a possible diagnosis be?

Also, I have had no blood in my urine or stool, and I have not had a fever. I am extremely fatigued, and I had Preceptal Cellulitius in my left eye one week before the pelvic pain started. I have never been pregnant, and I take two medications daily: Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo and Effexor XR 75 mg. I have been taking the Ortho for 6 years, and the Effexor since Jan 2007. I was also in a moderately serious car accident in Dec 2006. I did not have any broken bones, but the airbags deployed and caused serious bruising on my chest and abdominal area. I appreciate your assistance. Thanks!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed May 02, 2007 2:28 pm

User avatar Your symptoms may be due to an infection, such as a bacterial colitis. Endometriosis is also a possibility but this seems to be a fairly unusual presentation if it is.

The MRI will be helpful, although if an organ was compressing your bowel I would have thought it would be seen on the CT.

I suspect that biopsies were done during the colonoscopy. These will be helpful as well.

Regarding which organ it may be, it is possible that the ovaries or uterus are pressing on the colon. The bladder is another possibilty.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here