Question: Vomiting while asleep

redhairedminx - Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:18 pm

I am 20 years old and female. I keep being sick whilst I am asleep and waking up choking on it. It seems to be more bile than actual food and it burns my throat. Also, I get heartburn every night when trying to get to sleep.
My past diagnoses was to lose some weight adn to use antacids before i go to sleep. I have lost some weight and I always use antacids before I go to sleep but this does not seem to be helping.
The only other meds I'm on are for my asthma (seretide and salbutamol). There is no history of this nighttime throwing up in my family, even though some family members are larger than I am.
Please help as soon as possible becuase this is making work vry difficult as I'm not getting enough sleep and also the condition is very frightening. There's nothing like waking up choking.
I've never had surgery.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:18 am

User avatar Your symptoms are very suspicious for reflux. The methods you are using are good starts but for severe reflux they are often not sufficient.

I would recommend that you see a GI specialist for a full evaluation and possilby a 24 hour pH probe to fully assess how much of the time you are refluxing.

If it is a significant part of time, it may be recommended that you have a surgery called a fundoplication to help stop the reflux. Usually, surgery is reserved for severe cases and there are some medical options before this.

In the mean time I would recommend that you elevate the head of your bed to at least 30 degrees. This will let gravity help prevent reflux.

redhairedminx - Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:53 am

Thank you doctor, I'll do that and hopefully will be able to get to the bottom of this. Thanks for replying so quickly :)

|