Question: What the heck is going on in there?

jawaheri - Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:27 pm

Hi...for about one year now, I have been having at least 3 bowel movents a day. I used to have 1 a day. I saw a doctor in Bahrain last year when I was overseas visiting my family and he had told me I had a 'tender colon'. Now I have no clue what that means, except it did hurt ONLY when he pushed on certain areas of my stomach. I had no pain in my stomach until February of this year. I was hospitalized due to the excrutiating pain, which felt just like contractions (but I knew I wasn't pregnant because they did a test). I also had diarreah for 7 straight days. They also did a CT scan, sonogram, and IVP and found nothing. They did an occult blood test and found blood in my stool. Since then I have been having pain everyday, along with chills, fever, and sometimes upper back pain. It's beginning to scare me because I even get pain after I eat. I don't know what's going on and I'm scared...it's been going on for way too long. Do you have any ideas about what could be wrong? :?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:16 pm

User avatar Hello jawaheri,
The presence of occult blood in stools is a significant finding in someone of your age. You should be scheduled for a colonoscopy to evaluate the condition of the colon as this could be the source of bleeding. Possible ideas include Chron's disease.

Please take a look at our GIT bleeding page where you'll find info on occult blood in stools.

Regards,
 jawaheri - Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:08 pm

Thank you Dr. Fouad for your quick response. I reviewed my records from my hospital stay and it says exactly: "There were moderate leukocytes and moderate occult blood in the stool". Could you translate that into english for me?
Also, I had blood tests done which showed I had high total bilirubin & serum amylase...also that I had low potassium, WBC, and NEUT % ... and high LYMPH % & MONO %
I'm sorry to keep asking questions, but no one explained these to me, and I have no idea what they mean...are any of them something I should worry about? Other things I forgot to mention were nausea and hemmeroids...the hemmeroids are gone now, but come and go and the last time I had them they were very painful and bled. Do all my symptoms point to anything in particular?
Thank you very much for all your help.
Amanda
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:05 am

User avatar Hi Amanda,
I think you should repeat some of these tests for e.g. occult blood in stools and Bilirubin tests. Occult blood just means that there is blood in stools that can only be seen via a microscope (occult). Leucocytosis means that your white blood cells are above normal (normally due to infection).

If the results of your test should come out abnormal a proper assessment should be performed including a colonoscopy to rule out Chron's disease.
 jawaheri - Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:57 pm

Thank you very much. I will definitely make an appointment as soon as I can pay for it!! LOL. I appreciate it.

|