Question: Vomitting, Diarrhea and Constant Nauseousness for 5 days.

Tizu - Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:38 am

I'm a 25 year old Male with 2 small children and a wife. None of which are having these symptoms. It started 5 days ago with Vomitting and diarrhea and Nauseousnes. The Vomitting stopped after 2 days, but the diarrhea has gotten worse. At first it was a darker brown color, then it went to a yellow (almost looked like stomach bile), now it's fairly clear. My anus is getting very raw and I'm constantly nauseous still. There is no consistency to the number of times I have diarreah, but it's mainly at night while I"m trying to sleep. I have NEVER had any problems like this before and am getting concerned it has lasted so long. I have had Rota virus several times, this is very different as it's lasted for 5 days now and not just a 24 hour "bug"....What could this be?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu May 17, 2007 12:54 pm

User avatar Your symptoms are consistent with an infectious gastroenteritis (stomach bug). However, with the severity of this infection it is possible that it is not from a virus. There are several bacteria that can cause your symptoms, including salmonella, shigella, and campylobacter.

Most of these infections are not treated with antibiotics and will resolve spontaneously but it does take longer than the typical viral gastroenteritis, sometimes 10-14 days.

If your symptoms are not improving I would recommend you see your doctor for a stool culture to help identify the cause.

|