News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Vomitting, Diarrhea and Constant Nauseousness for 5 days.

Tizu - Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:38 am

I'm a 25 year old Male with 2 small children and a wife. None of which are having these symptoms. It started 5 days ago with Vomitting and diarrhea and Nauseousnes. The Vomitting stopped after 2 days, but the diarrhea has gotten worse. At first it was a darker brown color, then it went to a yellow (almost looked like stomach bile), now it's fairly clear. My anus is getting very raw and I'm constantly nauseous still. There is no consistency to the number of times I have diarreah, but it's mainly at night while I"m trying to sleep. I have NEVER had any problems like this before and am getting concerned it has lasted so long. I have had Rota virus several times, this is very different as it's lasted for 5 days now and not just a 24 hour "bug"....What could this be?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu May 17, 2007 12:54 pm

User avatar Your symptoms are consistent with an infectious gastroenteritis (stomach bug). However, with the severity of this infection it is possible that it is not from a virus. There are several bacteria that can cause your symptoms, including salmonella, shigella, and campylobacter.

Most of these infections are not treated with antibiotics and will resolve spontaneously but it does take longer than the typical viral gastroenteritis, sometimes 10-14 days.

If your symptoms are not improving I would recommend you see your doctor for a stool culture to help identify the cause.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here