Question: Severe Abdominal Pain

abuchanan - Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:31 pm

For the last 6 months or so I have had severe pain in my stomach that shoots out through my ribs and back and then recently I started having also pain in mu upper left part of my stomach, senstive to touch and feels swollen. The pain in my stomach mainly comes on early in the morning before i eat. Normally a glass of milk cures it temporally. I finally made an appt when a gastro and he did an endoscopsy on me and found no evidence of an ulcer, but said the lining of my stomach looked irratated. He started me on Aciphex. Today I had a sono done because he wanted to make sure I didnt have pancreatitis. I have not gotten my results yet but the lady said my spleen was in the upper limits and I had hemangomias on my liver. Is this related? Is this anything to be concerned about?

Little info..Had my gallbladder removed in 2/06. Have had chronic diaherra since. Also donated blood to ARC in 2001 and they said I had a blood disorder (maybe autoimmune) and I should have my doctor test me to find more answers. No evidence was found of a blood disorder. ( I only mentioned that because of the enlarged spleen)
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:14 pm

User avatar It's unlikely that the spleen size and hemangiomas in the liver are related to your pain.

Given that the milk helps, it is very suspicous for gastritis. Even without ulcers I woud recommend that you be tested for H. Pylori. If biopsies were done during the endoscopy they will probably be able to see evidence of H. Pylori on the biopsy if it is there.

Checking for pancreatitis is a good thought. Generally, this is done by a blood test to look for elevated levels of amylase and lipase. An ultrasound is useful to look for any cysts or psuedocysts associated with pancreatitis but may miss other cases of pancreatitis.

If the aciphex is not helping you should see your GI specialist again to follow up. You may need a different treatment regimen.

|