Question: Blood coming from bowels

ksilvers0001 - Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:08 pm

I am asking this for my husband's aunt. She is scared to death to go to the doctor and find out what is wrong with her.
For at least the past 5 years, whenever she has a bowel movement, there are large quantities of blood. From what I have been told, it sounds almost like she is bleeding from her bowels. Her stomach is also expanding. She is not big anywhere else, but her stomach reminds me of me when I was eight months pregnant. It is that large. She is having stomach pains, but I am not sure where or how severe they are.
We are scared she has the symptoms of colon cancer. We cannot convince her to go to the doctor. She believes that God will take care of her, and she is afraid the doctor will tell her that she will not live to see her grandchildren and great grandchildren grow up. She is only 55 years old; cancer runs in their family bad, and no matter how much we threaten or beg her, she will not go to the doctor.
What could be causing her these problems? Maybe if we had more information, we could convince her to go to the doctor.
 Marceline F, RN - Wed May 02, 2007 10:19 am

User avatar Dear Ksilvers0001,
Your husband's aunt's symptoms sound very serious. There are many disorders that can cause a lower GI (gastrointestinal) bleed. These can be diverticulitis, a perforated ulcer, gastric uilcers,or yes, even Cancer. If the blood is maroon colored, it is probably something "upper GI" meaning esophageal, or stomach. If the blood is brighter, it is probably lower GI (small bowel, large bowel rectum. There are simple tests that can tell how much danger she is in - including a CBC (complete blood count - which will tell how much blood she has lost), a Cat Scan of the abdomen, and more definitively (if appropriate) an endoscopy to check out Upper GI, or a colonoscopy to check out Lower GI. In either event, many gastric bleeding problems can be easily diagnosed and treated - SUCCESSFULLY. To not find out what is happening actually puts her at riisk for a poor outcome . Our imaginations are very fertile, but we frequently cause more problems by delay than by facing our dragons head on!
 bawbag18 - Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:15 am

recently (the past two weeks)i have noticed a lot of blood everytime i go to the bathroom only in my bowel movements, i am not constipated and don't have the runs there is no pain just a lot of bright red blood every time any ideas on what may be causing this?? yours joe reilly
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:25 am

Upper GI bleeds usually manifest as tarry black, sticky and foul-smelling feces known as 'malena'.Very low bleeds manifest as 'bright-red' blood in feces.Blood arising from In between these two areas, blood may appear 'maroon' coloured(hematochezia).

What a doctor does first when there is bright red bleeding is to exclude anorectal sources, notably, hemorrhoids, wherein, the bleeding is usually painless, bright-red and occurs at the end of a bowel movement.As already discussed by Marceline F, RN, other causes need to be excluded, such as diverticular disease of colon and tumors.In children, an hyperplastic polyp could cause this type of bleeding.

In the elderly age group, angiodysplasia needs to be considered. Angiodysplasia is an aquired,degenerative vascular ectasia in the colon, commonly the right side of the colon.A colonoscopy probably is the investigation to start with,

|