Question: Acid reflux and stomach pressure

Songbird - Sun May 06, 2007 7:46 pm

I have been told I have slight acid reflux but I have terrible pressure in my stomach (sometimes while I'm eating but other times when not eating). The doctor did an ultrasound and found no problems with gall bladder or stomach. It is really bad at times, it seems to help if I push downward on my stomach with my hands. Is this a symptom of acit reflux. My doctor has no idea what is causing this?
 Marceline F, RN - Tue May 08, 2007 12:36 am

User avatar Dear Songbird,
The best diagnostic tool in your case is to ask your doctor to refer you for an EGD (Esophagoduodenoscopy) whereby a gastroenterologist (someone who specializes in disorders of the digestive tract) takes a camera and looks down into your stomach and can see if there are any areas of erosion or ulceration. It is possible to have acids eat away at the distal portion of the esophagus, and anytime the stomach acids touch the tip of the esophagus causes pain. Did your doctor prescribe an H2blocker (Prilosec, Prevacid, Zantac, Pepcid, Tagamet) or the like? There is a simple diagnostic aid the ER uses called a "GI cocktail" which consists generally of Mylanta (antacid)mixed together with Donatal (anti-spasmotic) and viscous Lidocaine (numbing agent). This can be a decision tree tie buster whether to pursue other gastric related sources of pain vs other body areas such as lungs, or ribcage. When the GI cocktail works, the patient typically is able to state some relief of the burning and pain. Then the Md can prescribe the appropriate intervention.
 Songbird - Tue May 08, 2007 8:39 am

Marceline F, RN wrote:Dear Songbird,
The best diagnostic tool in your case is to ask your doctor to refer you for an EGD (Esophagoduodenoscopy) whereby a gastroenterologist (someone who specializes in disorders of the digestive tract) takes a camera and looks down into your stomach Did your doctor prescribe an H2blocker (Prilosec, Prevacid, Zantac, Pepcid, Tagamet) or the like? There is a simple diagnostic aid the ER uses called a "GI cocktail" which consists generally of Mylanta (antacid)mixed together with Donatal (anti-spasmotic) and viscous Lidocaine (numbing agent). When the GI cocktail works, the patient typically is able to state some relief of the burning and pain. Then the Md can prescribe the appropriate intervention.

Thank you so much for all the helpful info. My Dr. did prescribe Mylanta and it helps a bit. He just added Prilosec and I will get it today. The problem is, I don't really have pain just this pressure, like someone has their fist pushing upwards on my stomach. The doctors look at me like they have never heard of this before. Have you??? Thanks again.
 Marceline F, RN - Wed May 09, 2007 7:41 am

User avatar Dear Songbird,
Thank you for the feedback. Pain is a difficult word to describe so succinctly that it would match each person's experience exactly. The perception of pain is predicated upon too many variables: pain receptor sites, one's previous experience with pain, and the manner in which we learn to cope with pain. So, the word pain to one means something sharp, to another it may mean burning, and to yet another it means pressure. The bottom line is that which ever way you experience and describe pain, it is a definitely unwanted discomfort. Medicinal interventions such as Mylanta and Prilosec are typical medications useful in eliminating gastric discomforts. There are many different types. I am sure you and your doctor together can find the right one for you.

|