News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Gall bladder

shadowfires - Mon May 07, 2007 2:15 am

Hello i am a 41 year old male that has had my Gallbladder removed. my question is, is it possible for Gall Stones to form without a Gall Bladder intacked? also are there certain foods i should try to avoid now that it has been removed that my cause problems in the future if i continue to eat them. i eat alot of fried foods and meats. good or bad on those two ? and please what are some good foods to eat also?

also if i may please, i have issues with stomach pains if i eat spicy foods or red kidney beans. i develope alot of gas that gets trapped and really causes alot of pain for a few hours. i have taken Gas X for it, it helps some but not alot, but no i don't continue to eat those types of foods for that reason. i could eat them before the Bladder was removed now i can not is there a reason why.

thank you for your time and help

JDW.[/b]
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon May 07, 2007 3:54 pm

User avatar It is very rare for gallstones to form after the gallbladder has been removed. When it does happen they usually form in the duct that remains.

In regards to your gallbladder, at this point any food is OK, although lots of fried foods is probably not good for your cholesterol.

Your stomach symptoms may be due to reflux as well. You may want to try an antacid to see if this helps the pain.

Best wishes.
 Michelle73 - Wed May 09, 2007 2:44 pm

I've had my Gallbladder out seven years ago. I'm now 33 years old. I have to disagree with the "ANY" food goes statement. You CAN'T eat fried foods, chinese food, spicy foods, or anything else that will cause your stomach to produce too much acid. Like a spagetti and pasta dinner will hurt my stomach afterwards and give me horrible acid-reflux, or however you say that. Milk helps keep my stomach acids low. You need to remember that before your gallbladder was removed, it worked with your Liver to break down the food you eat and turn it into bile. Now you ONLY have your Liver, so eating healthier and keeping as much stress off of it as possible is a good idea.

As far as what kind of foods to eat, anything, EXCEPT what I mentioned above. I don't fry anything anymore. I broil or bake all of my meat, eat more vegatables, drink more water and milk. Another thing is to not drink too much alcohol, since it directly affects your Liver. :)
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun May 13, 2007 9:29 pm

User avatar Hello Michelle 73,

I appreciate your comments. Some people are not able to tolerate certain foods even after the gallbladder is removed.

Your symptoms make me suspicious of uncontrolled acid reflux. I would recommend that you see your doctor for an evaluation to see if your symptoms can be brought under better control.

Best wishes.
 getmoney - Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:21 pm

I've had my gallbladder taken out come to find out it was gangreneous. My surgeon said that it had been like that for about a year. 10months later still having the same pains i had before the surgery could it be something has become infected or damaged. What medical steps should i take.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here