Question: All Tests Good, But Still In Pain

Michelle73 - Wed May 09, 2007 2:34 pm

[/b] I'm writing in regards to my husband. He is 31 years old,{recent medical history: Cholestorol 309, He also has a high Enzyme concentration in his Pancreas.} No other medical history. He recently got diagnosed with Diverticulitis, after a Cat Scan. He was given antibiotics and sent home. Upon finishing the meds, he was still in pain. He was put back on the same antibiotics and another one as well. He was taking about 8 pills a day for a month. Guess what? Still in pain, but this time the Doctor sent him for a Colonoscopy. The results came back with mild Diverticulitis in a few scattered areas. Changed the diet indefinately. He's still in pain, so now he's sent off to a surgeon who insists he has an MRI. Those results just came back in and all is fine. All is fine? My husband is in agonizing pain. This can't only be from the diverticulitis. Any suggestions? He's on the verge of just hitting the local ER and not leaving until he gets some promising results.

He first saw the doctor in December of 2006. It's May 2007!
 Michelle73 - Wed May 09, 2007 3:44 pm

This is in response to my previous topic. My husband is having dinner now and then he's checking into the local ER. Someone said that if a person is in severe abdominal pain for more than 36 hours, that they should seek emergency medical assistance. So we will be on our way shortly. Wish us luck!
 Michelle73 - Thu May 10, 2007 12:49 pm

It seems I'm going to be the only one replying to myself {not laughing}. We didn't make it to the ER because we couldn't get the records. I wasn't able to use the ATM card for some reason and the Doctor was charging us $10.00 for the records, which I think is ridiculous, since he already milked us for $300. I have the records now and they're not very helpful. What would be helpful to show the ER doctor, would be the MRI results. I guess if they need them, they can call them while we are there. Luckily for us, all the private doctors that he's seen are all connected to the same Hospital Network as we're going to. I suppose I will update this when we get any kind of results, UNLESS, one of the doctors here has any suggestions?
 Michelle73 - Sat May 12, 2007 9:12 pm

Well he apparently has a severe infection and has been admitted into the hospital. He had to have 2 different antibiotics, intravenously. He has a GI doctor coming to see him in the morning. The infection is the Diverticulitis, BUT the pain he's been having is of unknown origin. They're not sure what further tests to administer.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon May 14, 2007 3:57 pm

User avatar Hi Michelle,
I'm sorry there hasn't been anyone to help you with your questions. Everyone must have been enjoying a little spring vacation as I was:)

This must be very frustrating trying to find answers about your husband's pain.

Diverticulosis is rare in someone as young as your husband but it can cause pain as well as fever, gas, and constipation (possibly alternating with diarrhea). Attacks can be sudden or drawn out. Sometimes it helps to rest and allow the bowel to rest with clear liquids only until the attack is over. You can use a heating pad if that helps comfort. Make sure he completes his course of antibiotics. You want the swelling that happens in an attack to be completely down so the waste can escape from the body through the natural channels. In some cases (about 10%) surgery can even be necessary if there is an abscess or a lot of bleeding.

Pain isn't always present but it certainly can be so I am not sure why they do not attribute your husband's symptoms to the diverticulitis. After an accute attack, the person usually is encouraged to eat a low residue diet with limited fruits and vegetables, no seeds, skins, stringy foods or nuts. Cream of wheat, white breads, meat, poultry, fish and eggs, gelatin and clear soups are encouraged. After several weeks of this diet, fiber is increased very gradually over weeks or months.

This may be the course your husband will be advised. If there is something else going on, hopefully something will show up to signal it. Sometimes symptoms do actually have to get worse before it becomes apparent what is happening. I'm gld he has had the colonoscopy and scans - this does help rule out some conditions that could cause his distress. Beyond these tests it is difficult to know what more could be tried. Medicine is still not perfect, even though great strides have been made.

Good luck to you both.
 Michelle73 - Mon May 14, 2007 7:20 pm

Thank you for your response. I just visited him again at the hospital. The Doctor had told him that he has Chronic Diverticulitis. He's still on intravenous antibiotics. He hasn't been able to eat anything but jello and clear broth for 3 days now. He's starving over there. He is still in sever pain as well, but only when the area is touched or if he moves suddenly {to turn over in bed, etc.} The GI doctor saw him and said he may need to have the bad parts of his colon removed, whereas a Surgeon told him he should remove the entire left-side of the colon, but that he'll have constipation for the rest of his life after that procedure. I'm taking his CAT scans w/andw/out contrast to another surgeon and I'm getting his opinion, tomorrow morning. He's very weak from not eating anything, but clear liquids, but he is in good spirits regardless. Thanks again for all the information you provided to me.

|