News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: extremly sudden onset diarrhea

jas22p - Thu May 10, 2007 1:53 am

1. 37
2. female
3. none
4. none
5. none
6. zoloft

Hello. I am a 37 year old women who today had a very sudden attack of diarrhea. I've been doing some online research, and it sounds like fecal incontinence. I was outside walking, and felt like I had to use the toilet, but not urgently. I had no stomach ache or cramps, and have never been constipated. All of a sudden, I felt like I couldn't hold it in, and quickly made it to a bathroom. I thought I had made it in time, but my underwear were extremely soiled (also down my legs, etc.) with feces about the consistency of oatmeal. I had not felt this feces leak out. I have never experienced anything like this before, and had no symptoms leading up. What could have caused this, and is it likely to happen again?

Thank you for your help. This is a wonderful service!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:46 pm

User avatar There are several causes of sudden onset diarrhea, mainly bacterial and viral infections.

With the rapid onset it may be toxin related (such as a toxin from a food poisoning.

If your diarrhea persists you may want to see a doctor for some stool studies.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here