News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Stabbing Stomach Pains followed by burning and gas..

RandomChick - Thu May 10, 2007 3:58 pm

I apologize in advance if a similar question has been asked already but I couldn't quite find anything with my symptoms. I'm a 24yr old female and have been extremely healthy my whole life. This past month, after every meal I get the worst stomach pains I have ever felt. It's somewhat "stabbing". Once the pain goes away (usually about 15 minutes) I start to feel an acid like feeling. The acid feeling usually lasts about 30 minutes and then I get some of the worst gas. The gas unfortunitly doesn't go away like the other symptoms. This is going on 24/7. At least every 5-10 minutes. When I first noticed this, I cut soda, sauce, and all sorts of acid-like foods out of my diet. The "acid feeling" has started in my throat now too. Today for instance, I had a can of Red Bull and it burned so bad.
I plan on eventually seeing my Doctor...I guess I've just been delaying because I assumed it would eventually stop and everything would be back to normal.
After drinking the Red Bull today, I'm pretty convinced that somethings wrong. Maybe acid reflex? I doubt it's serious...so I'm not rushing to make an apppointment but I was hoping to find out online what I can expect. Any help would be appreciated. And also, while Im here, this website is great and I just want to say thank you to all to Doctors who take time to answer everyones questions.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri May 11, 2007 12:59 am

User avatar Your symptoms may be due to acid reflux or possibly stomach ulcers. The other possibility is gallstones or gallblader problems.

You may want to try an antacid such as tums or rolaids or your favorite antacid. These should help reflux but probably won't do much for gallstones.

I would definitely recommend that you see your doctor to get some testing for what is going on.

Best wishes.
 RandomChick - Fri May 18, 2007 2:36 pm

Well, not acid reflex. 6 weeks pregnant. :-)
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri May 18, 2007 3:24 pm

User avatar That certainly explains it. As an aside, acid reflux sometimes can appear or worsen during pregnancy. Calcium carbonate (TUMS) is a good, safe treatment.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here